Each week, we tell you just three things from Taiwan. It’s a quick and unique way to connect with the society and culture of this quirky and cozy little spot in Asia, featuring our News Director William Yang with a showcase of his project Taipei Love Notes.
The World’s 3rd Lowest Water Price Is About to Increase
- Taiwanese people have long enjoyed the world’s 3rd lowest water price, but that is about to change after the Chairman of Taiwan Water Corporation, Kuo Chun-ming, announced this week that the company plans to propose a water price increase in September, with the plan to introduce a “regional drought water price” based on the amount of water storage in reservoirs or major rivers during peak water seasons in the summer.
- According to Kuo, the tactic is not designed to benefit the Taiwan Water Corporation, but to prevent the widespread problem of wasting waters while helping to fund the necessary facility upgrade projects.
Marriage Registration May Soon Become Something Real for Same-Sex Couples
- Same-sex couples may soon be able to register as married at household registration offices across Taiwan, as Taipei High Administrative Court reopened hearing of a case regarding marriage registration for same-sex couples on August 9th. If the court ruled in favor of the petitioners, same-sex couples could begin to register at local household registration offices before the current legislative process completes.
- Although judges consider that the Zhongzheng district’s household registration office has violated the constitution by refusing to register for the petitioners, the Ministry of Justice emphasized that since legislative amendment to the marriage law is still underway, people should not overinterpret the status for same-sex marriage.
Heavenly Voice Shines at Summer Universiade 2017
- As Taipei gets ready to host the Summer Universiade 2017, Angel Tseng, a cleft lip and cleft palate patient since birth, is the singer behind Summer Universiade 2017’s official theme song, Embrace the World. Having experienced more than 20 facial surgeries since she was just four month old, Tseng’s passion for singing never wavers despite the constant negative comments and questioning she receives at singing contests through the years.
- After countless attempts, she finally came out on top at the audition for Summer Universiade 2017, and her heavenly voice has the chance to be heard by the world in just a few days.
When Taiwanese Architectural Traditions Come to Life
- You may have known Tainan as the food capital of Taiwan, but there are in fact so much more to it that makes Tainan one of the top destinations for tourists. This week’s Taipei Love Notes will help you understand how Taiwan’s architectural traditions come to life in Tainan and why this model is worth adopting by other cities in Taiwan.
Latest posts by William Yang (see all)
- Summer Universiade, Indigenous Rights, Paralyzed Painter: Taiwan Uniquely - August 20, 2017
- Water, Marriage, Angel: Taiwan Uniquely - August 12, 2017
- Sampling Taipei’s Dining Diversity: Taipei Feast Week - August 10, 2017