Model Referendum Planned to Protest for Migrant Worker Rights
- Representatives from Taiwan International Workers’ Association (TIWA) and other rights groups announced this week that they will hold a model referendum for migrant workers, protesting the lack of participation in relevant political and public affairs for migrant workers.
- According to TIWA, the model referendum on migrant worker rights is not to ask the government to grant citizenship to migrant workers, but to push the government to think about how to ensure equal participation in political and public affairs for non citizens.
The First Made in Taiwan Satellite Launched into the Orbit
- At 2:30 am on August 25th, Taiwan wrote a new chapter of its aerospace history when the first domestically developed space satellite, FormoSat-5, was successfully launched into the outer space. The National Space Organization commissioned SpaceX to deliver FormoSat-5 into the space by firing off a Falcon 9 rocket.
- President Tsai Ing-Wen shared on Facebook that FormoSat-5 not only carries Taiwan’s aerospace expertise, but also Taiwanese people’s dreams.
Taiwan Won its First 100 Metres’ Gold Medal at the Summer Universiade
- Taiwan’s Summer Universiade delegation continues to break new records after they successfully surpassed the predicted number of gold medals on Thursday. Yang Chun-Han, the national record holder of the male 100 metres, won Taiwan’s first gold medal in 100 metres at the Summer Universiade on Thursday, beating contestants from South Africa and the United States.
- Yang said that he never thought he could win the gold medal, and was feeling very excited after breaking the national record during the semi-final.
A Tribute to Taipei 101
- What does Taipei 101 mean to you? The skyscraper that’s once the world’s tallest building remains many foreign tourists’ strongest impressions of Taiwan even until this day. This week, Taipei Love Notes shares with us what does Taipei 101 mean to a young man who once dreamed of building a career in Taipei.
Latest posts by William Yang (see all)
- Labor Law Amendments Rushed through the Committee while Protesters Blocked Streets Outside the Legislature - December 4, 2017
- Photo Essay: Protesters Staged Sarcastic Religious Style Demonstration Against Labor Law Amendments - December 3, 2017
- China’s Message with Lee Ming-che: Promote Democracy, Pay the Price - November 28, 2017