Summer Universiade Donates Leftover Ingredients to Food Banks
- The Summer Universiade 2017 may have been over, but there are large amounts of leftover ingredients in the cafeteria that need to be taken care of. The Taipei Department of Social Welfare partnered with local communities to share leftover ingredients with NGOs and heldan event on September 3rd to serve those in need. The plan is part of the food management initiative of the Summer Universiade, aiming to properly control the amount of food waste.
Team Argentina Shows Solidarity by Waving the Taiwan Flag at Closing Ceremony
- The Summer Universiade 2017 officially ended on August 30th, sending off the biggest international sports event ever held in Taiwan. While spectators were prohibited from bringing the official ROC flag to the closing ceremony, Team Argentina surprised the crowd by covering themselves with the flag as they marched into the stadium, showing solidarity with Taiwan.
- The ROC flag currently officially representing Taiwan is banned by FISU, the organizing body, because Taiwan is not recognized as a state. FISU reprimanded Team Argentina for “bringing politically sensitive objects into the games.” However, some Argentinian athletes were defiant on social media.
Legislature Passed Amendments to the Sports Law
- After months of review and negotiations, the legislature finally passed amendments to the sports law on Thursday. The amendments include mechanisms to ensure financial transparency and anti-corruption statutes for sports federations and sponsors. Several rights groups expressed their optimism for Taiwan’s sport reformation, but emphasized that this is only the beginning to reforming Taiwan’s overly-conservative sports ecosystem.
A Tribute to CKS Memorial Hall
- The history that accompanies CKS Memorial Hall remains highly debatable in Taiwan. This week, Taipei Love Notes shares a tribute to CKS Memorial Hall and what the monument and public space means for Taiwan.
(Feature photo by William Yang)
Latest posts by William Yang (see all)
- Public Demonstration in Taipei Calls for the Release of Lee Ming-Che - September 17, 2017
- Guilty, Instagram, Salaries: Taiwan Uniquely - September 17, 2017
- Reshuffle, Airbnb, Trial: Taiwan Uniquely - September 10, 2017